All of Rutgers’ campus buses are equipped with low entrance steps and/or mechanical platforms for wheelchair accessibility. For New Brunswick/Piscataway students who require accessible transportation and cannot utilize the typical campus bus service due to a temporary or permanent disability, Rutgers offers a paratransit van. To be considered for this additional van service, students must :
- Review the Rutgers’ Department of Transportation (DOT) information .
- Ask their physician or other medical provider must complete the Certification of Medical Need.
- Confirm with DOT that provisional van services are in place for two weeks pending the receipt of the Certification of Medical Need from their physician.
- Ensure that their physician completes and submits the Certification of Medical Need form to allow for continuous transportation after the provisional two week period.
Upon receipt of Certification of Medical Need form and satisfactory review, the coordinator of the van service will contact the student to discuss continued transportation needs and make appropriate arrangements.
- For full details on eligibility, policies and procedures for the Rutgers’ University Paratransit Van Services go to their online manual.
- Accessible parking permits may be obtained with a valid Rutgers parking permit. The type of parking permit received and the respective fee is determined by:
– Your affiliation – i.e. student, faculty, staff, visitor, vendor- Your time spent on campus – i.e. commuter, resident, night commuter, temporary employee, faculty/staff
- Those with permanent disabilities must present a copy (front and back) of a state issued Permanently Disabled ID and placard to the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services. A valid Rutgers parking permit is required in addition to the state placard.
- Those with temporary disabilities must present a copy (front and back) of a state issued Temporary Disabled ID to the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services. Disability parking privileges will coincide with the expiration date of the placard OR the treating physician must submit a Certification for Medical Need Form to continue past the expiration date. A valid Rutgers parking permit is required in addition to the state placard.
- Those who do not have a permanent or temporary state issued placard must:Ask their physician to complete and submit a Certification for Medical Need Form and submit an Additional Parking Request Form.
Buses and Shuttles
RBHS Office of Academic & Student Affairs
Stanley S. Bergen, Jr. Building
65 Bergen Street, Suite 1441
Newark, NJ 07101-1709
Monday through Friday
8:30AM – 5:00PM